Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Working in a Bureaucracy

My job sucks. I guess that puts me in good company these days. Being an employee of a large corporation requires a certain emotional makeup which I lack.

Truth be told, working for a small company is even worse.

Those of you who enjoy being part of a bureaucracy, who thrive at being an "organization man", have an easier time succeeding in our economic system than those of us who rebel against such nonsense. The big question is what are the rest of us supposed to do?

If you listen to Dan Miller over at 48 Days, he is a big advocate of sales and marketing. Yes, it is true that if you are great at sales you can strike out on your own and do very well.

But what about those of us who would rather not go out an talk to people? What if we would prefer to do a quiet activity where we hone our craftsmanship, or perhaps help a little imaginary talking fish establish an internet presence?

I don't have any answers, yet. But I am working on a way to eventually replace my stinkin' job with something I enjoy more. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment